How to Get Wax Out of a Jar Candle

    by eHow Contributor

    About the Author

    This article was created by a professional writer and edited by experienced copy editors, both qualified members of the Demand Media Studios community. All articles go through an editorial process that includes subject matter guidelines, plagiarism review, fact-checking, and other steps in an effort to provide reliable information.


    Often jar candles are gifts and the smell and look of them are treasured, but after a time they are eventually to burned and the gift of their light and scent fills the room. Many times, when they finally burn down to the bottom of the jar, it is kept as a memento, but before anything can be done with it, the remaining wax must be removed.

    Place water in the jar or holder before you place the candle in it. When you light the candle and have used it down to the bottom, the small amount of water that you started with in the jar should allow the leftover wax to slip free. Remove it and discard it. You can then use the jar or holder for another candle, as a gift container or candy jar.

    Put the jar in the freezer for an hour or two. As the jar and wax are in the freezer, the low temperature will cause the wax to shrink and pull away from the glass wall and bottom of the jar. Remove the jar from the freezer and the leftover wax should pop right out. Now you are ready for your next project for the jar.

    Heat water on the stove and pour the hot water into the jar. The heat will liquefy the wax and it will float to the top. Be especially careful to place something over the drain to catch the wax. Wax buildup in your pipes will cause major problems down the road.

    • If the fragrance of the candle still lingers in the jar, try soaking the jar in a solution of vinegar overnight and then scrubbing it with a paste made from baking soda and a little water. This should remove any traces of the old fragrance. This will make it useful for another craft idea or as a gift container for something edible.