How to Sew a Tulle Skirt
Tulle is a netting, generally made out of nylon, that comes in many colors, as well as in a fine or loose weave. The finer tulle is softer, but the looser weave has more body. A skirt made of tulle can also be called a tutu. Tutus are often made for ballet dancers, but they can be worn as a fashion statement, too.
Things You'll Need
- Sewing machine
- Seam ripper
Purchase enough tulle for the tutu. Buy a length that measures double the wearer's waist measurement, or if you want a very full skirt, triple the measurement. Purchase 2-inch elastic for the waist.
Sew the waist tube. The tulle you purchased is folded in half, which is perfect for this project. Sew a line of stitching 1 inch down from the folded edge, the whole length of the tulle.
Trim the bottom edge if you want the skirt to be shorter. Then pin the raw edges of the short ends of the fabric together and sew a 1-inch seam. This closes the skirt into a circle open at the top and bottom.
With a seam ripper, cut a slit in the inside of the waist tube area at the top of the tulle skirt.
Cut the elastic 1 inch longer than the wearer's waist. Attach a safety pin to one end of the elastic, and using the pin as a guide, push the elastic through the slit you made in the tube at the top of the skirt. When the safety pin reaches the other side, remove it. Sew the two ends of the elastic together several times for strength.
Push the elastic ends into the tulle skirt and hand sew the seam closed.
- This tutu will have two layers of tulle. You can cut the top layer shorter than the bottom to get a layered effect.
- Digital Vision./Digital Vision/Getty Images
- How to Sew a Skirt That Fits Without a Pattern
- How to Sew a Line Skirt With No Pattern
- How to Decorate Wedding Reception Head Table With ...
- How to Decorate a Ceiling at a Wedding Reception ...
The Perfect App for Crafters
- How to Crochet a Scrubbie From Tulle Netting
- How to Make Pew Bows With Tulle
- How to Make a Pencil Skirt Pattern
- How to Make a Wreath With Tulle