How to Make Scarves
Making your own scarf is a fun and easy project. Make a casual scarf to wear with jeans or a beautiful silk scarf to dress up your favorite outfit. When you make your own scarves, you can make them long, short, triangular, square or rectangular. These scarves make great gifts too, so make some extras and put them away for birthdays or Christmas. This project should take you no longer than an hour and is inexpensive. Even if you don't know how to sew, there are various no-sew scarves you can make and you'll hear compliments from everyone.
Things You'll Need
- Fleece, jersey or silk fabric
- Sewing machine
- Measuring tape
Purchase jersey fabric that looks nice on both sides. There are several types of jersey fabrics. Some are thinner than others, so purchase one suitable for the season. Measure a piece of fabric 2 yards long and 20 inches wide and cut it out. You can adjust the measurements to make it thinner or longer if you want. The raw edges of the jersey will curl up when cut, so that's all you have to do. If you want to hem the edges for a neater finish, use a zigzag stitch or twin needle.
Purchase fleece fabric the length you want your scarf to be, plus 12 inches. Measure the width you want and cut it out. Cut 6 inches from the ends into the body of the scarf at 1/20-inch intervals. Tie every two pieces of the fringe in a knot or just leave the fringe as it is.
Purchase a silk fabric the length you want your scarf. A width of 6 to 12 inches is suitable for a silk scarf. Cut the scarf shape out carefully. Silk is slippery and difficult to work with so it's best to pin the edges after double folding them 1/4 inch over on all sides. Sew the hem with a zigzag stitch all the way around, folding the corners. Sew slowly as silk tends to stretch. You will have more control with a slower speed.
- Make sure you choose fabrics that feel nice against your skin -- the neck is sensitive, so pick a fabric that will be comfortable.
- Photos.com/Photos.com/Getty Images
- Directions to Ripple Crochet
- How to Knit an Infinity Scarf
- How to Knit a Hat With Straight Needles
- How to Keep a Knitted Scarf From ...
The Perfect App for Crafters
- How to Make a Handprint Turkey
- How to Make Native American Drums for ...
- How to Make Clay Dragon Sculptures
- How to Make No-Cook Play Dough Easily