How to Make Key Chains Out of Plastic Strings
String key chains are practical, colorful accessories. They are simple to make, durable and they allow a bit of the owner's individuality and personality to shine through. Plastic string key chains require few materials, just a little time -- and you don't even need to spend time at summer camp to make one.
Things You'll Need
- Key rings
- Plastic strings
Measure your plastic craft strings. You need about three times the length of untied string than the length you wish for your finished product.
Cut two long pieces of different colored plastic strings with scissors and slide them through the key ring, folding them in half. This creates the base of your key chain and gives you a starting point for your braiding.
Take one of your strings and loop it around the front of your strings, and another string and loop it around the back. Cross the laces over each other to create a basic figure-8 with your laces. Pull them tight to create your first base knot.
Continue with this basic pattern. If you want the key chain to have a simple box design, then continue the looping and tying with the same set of laces. If you want the key chain to have a twist shape to it, then alternate the knot pattern with the pair of laces diagonal to the first set.
Pick up the longer laces and continue with your knot pattern if your first set of laces becomes too short. Keep all of your loose laces in the center of the knots so that you don't have a lot of loose strings hanging off your key chain.
Tie a knot at the end of your key chain when you reach the length you like. Tie an overhand knot and trim the ends, leaving a tail of a few inches to form a tassel.
Slide the key chain portion along the key ring to make sure it fits well and will not tangle with your keys. Attach the key ring to your keys.
- Check your measurements carefully. If you have too little string, you will not be able to complete your key chain.
- Plastic craft laces are often called boondoggle, gimp or scoubidou.
- How to Melt Plastic Beads as an Art ...
- How to Make a Pyramid Out of Household ...
- How to Make a Four Strand Round Braid
- How to Melt Plastic Bottles
The Perfect App for Crafters
- How to Make Molds Out of Plaster
- How to Decorate Plastic Cups
- How to Make Your Own Name Tags
- How to Crochet With Plastic Grocery Bags