How to Make Handbags at Home
Making your own handbags at home can be a creative way to update your wardrobe and add versatility and personal style to your closet. With hundreds of fabrics, textures and hardware to choose from, making a handbag for yourself can be easy. If you have some basic sewing skills and a good imagination, you can make one-of-a-kind handbags that will have your friends green with envy.
Things You'll Need
- Sewing machine
- Needle and thread
- Hardware for handbag
Select your fabric. Handbags can be made out of nearly anything, including duct tape and upholstery fabric. Browse through your fabric store or old clothes bin and select material large enough for the handbag size you have in mind. Consider old blue jeans, used prom dresses and out-of-fashion suits for material for your handbag
Find a pattern. Whether you want to knit and felt a handbag or create your own unique purse, a pattern is essential. You can find handbag patterns or templates at your fabric store, or make your own by tracing the silhouette of a favorite bag. If you are making your own pattern, remember to include two sides, front and back, the bottom of the bag and any flap you might want to use for closing. You might also include a strap.
Consider your closure and adornments while shopping. You can use a standard frame-style closure and sew it into your handbag, or use something more creative such as old seat belts or ribbons to secure the opening of your bag. You may also want to think of using rhinestones, rivets or buttons on your handbag, which you should incorporate into your design and pattern.
Cut your material. If you are following a pattern, trace the templates on your fabric and cut. If you want to make an easy bag, simply fold a piece of fabric in half, cut to size and sew up the sides. When cutting material, consider if you need to line your bag to protect your goods from scratchy hardware or protect thin material from poking pens and sunglasses.
Reverse your fabric and sew up your seams by hand or by using your sewing machine. Hand-stitch on hardware, handles or straps. Turn the bag right-side out and sew on any additional adornments.
- Get cheap fabric for your handbag at a resale or thrift shop. You can find unique fabrics including old suit linens to use for mere dollars. Look through the belts for closure or hardware ideas as well.
- For an easy handbag, cut the legs off your blue jeans leaving only the waist and hip portion. Sew up the bottom, add a strap and you're done! You have a handbag complete with pockets.
- Be sure to double-stitch straps and panels on your handbag to ensure safe usage and a long life for your new bag.
- Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images
- How to Make a Balloon Arch With Two ...
- How to Make a Wire Hanger Mobile
- How to Make Decorative Pillows
- How to Make Cool Things From Paper
The Perfect App for Crafters
- How to Make a Paper Race Car
- How to Make Baby Shower Washcloth ...
- How to Make Homemade Christmas ...
- Fun Things That Kids Can Do at Home