How to Make Hair Bow Clips for Girls
Make bow tie hair bow clips for a girl of any age. You can make miniature bows from tiny pieces of ribbon and attach the bows to fabric clips for an infant or make large bows for an older child and attach them to metal or plastic hair clips. Make neutral colored bow tie hair bows for a hair accessory that coordinates with any outfit or make colorful hair bows from a rainbow of patterned ribbons in colors that coordinate with a favorite outfit.
Things You'll Need
- 1-inch-wide ribbon
- Sewing needle
- 1/4-inch-wide ribbon
- Hot glue gun
- Hair clip
Cut a 6-inch-long piece of the 1-inch-wide ribbon to make a 2 1/2-inch-wide bow.
Make a loop from the bow, overlap the ends and pinch the ends of the ribbon together in one hand.
Press down on the center of the loop and insert the sewing needle with thread from the underside of the center of the bow to the top. Wrap the thread around the middle of the bow and squeeze the thread to make the center of the bow fold like an accordion. Sew a few stitches through the accordion center to keep its shape.
Cut a small piece of 1/4-inch-wide ribbon, about 1 1/2 inches long. Wrap the ribbon around the accordion middle of the bow. Overlap the ends of the thin ribbon and cut off the excess. Sew the ends of the thin ribbon together.
Apply hot glue to the top of the hair clip. Press the bow onto the clip and hold firmly for 20 to 30 seconds.
- You can adjust the size of the bow according to your preferences. To make a 4-inch-wide bow, cut an 8 1/2-inch piece of the 1-inch-wide ribbon. To determine how much ribbon to cut for any size bow, multiply the width of the bow you would like by 2 and add an extra 1/2 inch.
- You can make a double bow tie hair bow as well. Make two bows and then cut a piece of the 1/4-inch-wide ribbon that is long enough to wrap around both bows. Press the two bows together and wrap the 1/4-inch-wide ribbon around the center.
- Make Barrettes & More: 16 Projects for Creating Beautiful Hair Accessories; Jo Moody
- How to Make a Tutu Dress for Older Girls
- How to Make Christmas Bows
- How to Tie the Bow on Moccasins
- How to Make Pew Bows With Tulle
The Perfect App for Crafters
- How to Make Paper Pilgrim Hats
- How to Decorate a Christmas Tree With ...
- Ideas for Girl Scout Brownie Crafts
- How to Make a Colonial Style Apron ...