How to Make Flowers Out of Tulle
Tulle flowers add a touch of class and ethereal fantasy to wedding regalia. Use them to embellish bridal dresses, hats, gloves, parasols or even banquet decor. You can make tulle flowers quickly and easily using a sewing machine, but you can also sew them by hand. Although this tulle flower measures approximately 3 inches in diameter, you can adjust your fabric dimensions proportionately to make a smaller or larger flower.
Things You'll Need
- Sewing machine
Cut a piece of tulle 4 inches wide by 20 inches long.
Fold the tulle in half on the long axis, so that it now measures 2 by 20 inches.
Stitch along both ends of the folded tulle by hand or sewing machine, leaving the long edge open.
Turn the fabric so that the seams are on the inside. Press lightly with the warm iron so the seams lie flat. Do not press the long folded edge unless you want a sharp crease in your finished flower.
Set the sewing machine to baste by adjusting the stitch length to long and loosening the bobbin thread. Baste the long seam. Alternatively, use needle and thread to stitch a medium hand stitch.
Tie off the basting threads on one end of the strip so they don't pull back through the fabric. Hold the bobbin thread on the other end and push the tulle toward the knot to gather and shorten it. You should end up with a "fan" about 10 inches long.
Roll up the tulle along the gathered edge so that it resembles a rose. Stitch the gathered edges in place and trim any excess fabric or threads. Find the sewn edge in the center and use a few hand stitches to secure it deep in the flower, out of sight.
- You also can use taffeta or any moderately stiff-bodied fabric to make flowers.
- Keep the iron set to a slightly warm setting or you may melt the tulle.
- Jupiterimages/liquidlibrary/Getty Images
- How to Decorate Wedding Reception Head Table With ...
- How to Make Pew Bows With Tulle
- How to Crochet a Scrubbie From Tulle Netting
- How to Decorate a Ceiling at a Wedding Reception ...
- How to Make a Wreath With Tulle
- How to Make a Tutu Dress for Older Girls
- How to Make Fish Out of a Recycled Plastic Bottle
- How to Make Molds Out of Plaster