How to Make Crochet Hoop Earrings
There are two ways to get the lacy look of crocheted earrings. You can create a round dangling hoop with just crochet thread and jewelry findings. Or, you can make a more solid hoop earring that holds a round shape by crocheting around a solid object such as a metal or plastic ring.
Things You'll Need
- Embroidery thread or cotton crochet thread
- Small steel crochet hook, size 3 or larger, depending on thread tension
- Two metal rings, key rings, extra large jump rings or soldered wire rings
- 2 earring wires
- 2 small jump rings
- 1 pair of jewelry pliers, needle nose or round nose
Thread Hoop Earrings
Create a slip knot and place it on the crochet hook. Chain two.
Chain 22 stitches.
Single crochet in the second chain from hook and across, making approximately 21 single crochets. Turn your work.
Chain three, skip the next single crochet and single crochet in the next stitch. Repeat this sequence all the way across.
Join with slip stitch in first chain of the starting chain to form a loop.
Fasten off, leaving a few inches of thread for weaving in. Weave in the starting and ending thread tails.
Twist open a jump ring with the jewelry pliers.
Insert one end of the jump ring into the bottom loop of the earring wire and into a crochet stitch at the point where you joined and fastened off. Twist the jump ring closed.
Repeat the steps to make the second earring.
Repeat steps 1 and 2 of the previous section.
Hold the ring in your left hand and the hook in your right with the thread on the top side of the ring.
Slip the hook through the center of the ring. Yarn over and pull a loop of thread back through center of the ring. You have two loops on the hook now.
Yarn over and pull the thread through the two loops on the hook to complete the single crochet around the ring.
Single crochet around the ring in this fashion until the ring is completely covered with stitches.
Join with slip stitch iin the starting single crochet.
Chain three, skip the next single crochet, single crochet in next stitch, repeat from the chain three across until last single crochet. Join with a slip stitch.
Fasten off, leaving a few inches of thread and weave in the thread tails.
Twist open a jump ring with the jewelry pliers. Insert one end of the jump ring into the bottom loop of the earring wire and into a crochet stitch at the point where you joined and fastened off.
Twist the jump ring closed.
Repeat the steps in this section to make the second earring.
- Crochet thread with metallic filaments give sparkle to your crochet earrings.
- Stringing gold or silver 3mm beads on the thread and pulling one up each time you complete a single crochet stitch is another way to add a little dazzle to the earrings.
- Never pull a jump ring apart or it won't go back together. It is opened by grasping the ends with two pairs of pliers and twisting one set of pliers away from you while the other comes toward you.
- Visage/Stockbyte/Getty Images