How to Create a Family Tree School Project
Help your child make a family tree for a school project on genealogy or history to help him show off his ability to research and organize data on your family's heritage. A detailed family tree can also serve as a medical history, provide your child with interesting knowledge about his ancestry and give the two of you an opportunity to spend some one-on-one time together. Gather your family history to begin constructing your family tree.
Things You'll Need
- Index cards
- Poster board
- White glue
Fill out an index card for each member of the family that you are adding to your tree. Write the name of the person in large print at the top of the card and write the birth date, marriage date and death date of the person (if applicable) below the name.
Draw a tree on your poster board for styling. It is not required, but it can make for a nice design and professional presentation.
Use white glue to stick the index cards of the first generation to the top of the tree. Place married couples next to each other. Draw a line above the cards and connect it to only those related by blood. Draw separate, smaller lines to connect married people to each other, below the index cards.
Add the next generation by drawing lines downward from the line connecting married couples. To do this, gather the cards that represent the children of the first generation. Adhere those cards below the cards of their parents in a single row, and draw lines from the parents' marriage line to the children's cards. Leave enough room for more cards between the children to add their spouses as well.
Continue adding generations until you reach the final generation that you want to include. You can show divorces by placing a slash on the line between married couples.
- Make the poster even more visually appealing and add pictures as far back through the generations as you can. Your child can hang it on the wall once he's finished with the poster at school to show off his family with pride.
- Family Tree Projects for Kids; Jennifer Holik
- Things to Make Out of Recycled Products ...
- How to Decorate a Christmas Tree With ...
- How to Make a Pine Cone Owl
- How to Melt Plastic Beads as an Art ...
The Perfect App for Crafters
- Easy Projects on Simple Machines for ...
- How to Make Bear Ears
- Totem Pole Crafts for Kids
- How to Make Modeling Clay at Home