How to Change the Color of Light Bulbs
For some people, normal white lightbulbs are too plain and boring for their living space. An easy solution to this is to color the lightbulbs with glass paint. There is no limit to the designs you can create. You can go with a simple one-color bulb or an extravagant stained glass look. This is the perfect way to brighten up a room and boost your spirits.
Things You'll Need
- Glass paint
- Paint brushes
- Painter's tape
Choose the colors you want for the lightbulb. You can make it one solid color or create a design using several different colors. Make sure the paint is capable of withstanding high heat before buying it.
Wrap a strip of painter's tape around the metal screw part of the lightbulb.
Shake up each jar of paint to ensure smooth color and consistency. The contents of water-based paints often separate when they sit for long periods of time.
Dip a small paint brush in the paint. Apply a thin, even layer of paint on the light bulb. If the paint is too thick, it will leave drip marks and may restrict light from shining through. If you use multiple colors, use a different brush for each color and wait for one color to dry before applying the next.
Hold the lightbulb by the screw until the paint is no longer tacky, then remove the tape and screw the light bulb into the light socket to let it continue to dry. Make sure it is completely dry before turning the light on.
- Try painting shapes such as stars or circles to get an artistic look. Use strips of painter's tape for straight lines if you want to create stripes or geometric designs. Paint over a doily for a lace effect.
- Transparent glass bulbs are better than opaque bulbs for this project.
- A shot glass is handy for holding the lightbulb while you paint it. You could also poke a hole in the bottom of an egg carton for the same purpose.
- How to Dye a Dress
- How to Crochet Animal Print Patterns
- How to Knit a Two-Color Pattern
- How to Dye Fabric With Tea Bags
The Perfect App for Crafters
- Coloring, Bronzing & Patination of ...
- How to Mix Paint Colors to Make Dark ...
- How to Dye Clothing With Food Coloring
- How to Make a Flanged Pillow Sham