How to Build a Model of the Colosseum
You can build a paper model of the Colosseum that is instantly recognizable to viewers as the famous stadium. The Roman Colosseum has a slightly elliptical shape that gave fans a great view of the action no matter where they were sitting. The look of the real-life iconic building is under constant change due to restorations and improvements. Make a paper craft model that shows the beauty and architectural mastery of one of the world's best known structures.
Things You'll Need
- Card stock or matte photo paper
- Glue stick
- Empty ballpoint pen
Visit the Canon Colosseum paper model site using the link in Resources. Print the A4 template on six sheets of standard 8 1/2-by-11-inch card stock or matte finish photo paper. Copy the number of each part from the printed side of the page to the unprinted side of each shape to avoid confusion once the pieces are cut out.
Download the A4 instructions using the link on the Colosseum paper model web page. Print the instructions so they are easier to reference during construction.
Cut out all the printed shapes carefully along their outlines. Roll the rectangles into hoops with the printed side facing out and glue them together according to the directions. Allow the glue to dry completely.
Stack and glue the paper hoops together in order on top of the elliptical central section as illustrated in the directions. Press and hold the glue surfaces together for a few seconds to squeeze out air bubbles and make full contact.
Trace the fold lines in the cubes with an empty ballpoint pen to make the corners straight and crisp. Without ink, the empty pen helps to score the paper without risk of cutting through making folding easier. Fold parts 13, 14, 15 and 16 into four-sided cubes and glue them in place on the lowest step inside the Colosseum.
Glue the two-piece base together and let it dry before stacking the partially assembled Colosseum model on top. Use the empty ballpoint pen again to give creases nice square corners.
Add the pieces that comprise the top levels and outside of the Colosseum. Glue the sections in place, carefully following the directions to line up the seams in the stadium and the base. Wait for the glue to dry before attempting to move the Colosseum model.
- Place a few small toy people inside and outside the Colosseum model to make it look like tourists visiting the real building in Rome.
- Customize the look of the printed model to make it look more like the dilapidated version by cutting out some of the upper sections and pieces.
- colosseum image by maya from Fotolia.com
- How to Make a Model of the Human Heart ...
- How to Build Rubber Band Powered Car
- How to Make a Pyramid at Home
- How to Build a Bird House With Popsicle ...
The Perfect App for Crafters
- How to Build a Longhouse for Kids
- How to Make a Paper Lighthouse
- How to Build a Cardboard Robot
- How to Make Modeling Clay at Home