How to Build a Longhouse for Kids
Tepees were not the only dwellings created by Native Americans. According to the Native American Museum of Art, the Iroquois created groups of longhouses for their communities. In Iroquois tradition, “elder brothers” who lived before there were people and animals on Earth lived in longhouses made from bark with one east-facing door and one west-facing door. Families of the Iroquois slept in 40 to 400-feet-long longhouses, where cooking fires were shared by families. Build a longhouse for kids by printing out templates from various Iroquois longhouse resources.
Things You'll Need
- Internet access
- 8 1/2-by-11-inch printer paper or card stock
- Brown watercolor paint
- Safety scissors
- 18-inch square cardboard
Print out the longhouse template from websites such as the Native American Museum of Art or Archaeology Education & Illustrations by Susan K. Nelson. Use your computer printer and printer paper or card stock.
Color the printout with crayons. Children should use grays, light tans and light browns for this project. Paint the colored artwork with brown watercolor paint. This is called the crayon resist method, and it will make the structure look more realistic. Allow it to dry completely.
Cut out the longhouse template with safety scissors. Be sure to cut out the included tabs on the longhouse template, but do not cut them off. You will need them for gluing.
Fold down the tabs on the template. Glue the walls first to create a rectangular base. Allow it to dry completely.
Glue the roof to the walls of the base. Let it dry, and then glue the entire longhouse onto a piece of cardboard for display.
- Add model grass material and model trees to the cardboard base around your longhouse. This will create a more realistic-looking model.
- Take a field trip to a Native American history museum to learn more about Native American culture and dwellings.
- Adult supervision is needed for this craft.
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
- Kids' Statue of Liberty Crafts
- How to Make Native American Drums for ...
- Easy Christian Valentine Crafts for Kids
- Stained Glass Crafts for Kids
The Perfect App for Crafters
- Ceramic Tile Crafts for Kids
- How to Build a Colonial Log Cabin for a ...
- How to Build a Fake Fire for Kids
- Fun Things That Kids Can Do at Home